Monday, December 26, 2016

Loving the new area


This ward is seriously so great. This week was the primary program and we had an attendance of 171 people! I haven't seen that many people in church since I've been out here!

Tonight is the mission Christmas party so I don't have a lot of time for stories... but I would like to share a quickie.
Since I got here we have been teaching a guy named M. He is a talker. We get to his house and sit down and he just talks and talks and talks. He has had a pretty rough life and has fallen in to alcoholism after his second wife died. He pretty much spends all day alone watching TV all day long. He has been progressing pretty well, but always said that he will NEVER wake up at 8 to go to church at 9 on a Sunday. I decided that if he wouldn't wake up to go to church, he would never progress . We said many prayers asking the Lord to help M. get up early for church on Sunday. We go to his house, sit down, and the first thing he says is, "This Sunday I'm going to church." And I was awe struck. I don't know what made him change his mind, but I know the Lords hand had everything to do with it. And sure enough, when we passed by Sunday morning to pick him up, he was all ready to go!

Okay, I have time for one more experience... Like I said last week, this ward likes to give references (yessss) so the elders quorum president gave us a reference for one of his neighbors. When we went to contact the house a guy came out and said that he didn't live there anymore.. but after he looked at me and saw my gringo look he said in broken English, "I need to change. I feel bad with God. I have gotten spiritually far from the Lord. Help me change. Help me with my addictions. I want to be better." Wow. That doesnt happen often. So he let us in and said that he wanted to learn English to help him with his job and that he wanted to go to church. So to hit two birds with one stone, we taught the first lesson in English and he loved it! I'm excited to see where this one goes!
Well, hopefully you all have a wonderful Christmas, and remember why it is really important. To remember the words of Paul in Acts 20:35,

"I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive."

Much Love and a muy feliz navidad!


Service Project





No comments:

Post a Comment