Wednesday, May 27, 2015

This e-mail got to me.

kay... I officially feel bad because of the short email last week. In my defense I was pretty dang sick. However, the medicine that the doctor gave me is making me feel a lot better!
A lot of cool things happened this week! One thing is that my investigators are realllllly starting to progress. Last week my investigators seemed like they were starting to plateau, but this week my companion and I really starting planning for our lessons. I think the one main thing that really helped us teach is when we would apply the scriptures directly to their lives. We started our lessons this week by teaching the investigators that literally EVERYTHING in the scriptures can apply to you! We would assign reading homework at the end of our lessons, and the next visit we would ask them what their favorite part was and how they applied it in their lives. They really started to open up to us! There is so much more that helped them, but I don't have much time to explain. Overall, the spirit is amazing. If you allow the spirit to guide you, your life will be so much happier. I have had some really cool experiences in my lessons with the spirit. There have been a couple times in my lesson where I don't really know what to say, but all of a sudden I open my mouth and start teaching the investigator exactly what they need to hear in (somewhat) perfect spanish! 
 
That reminds me... Elder Holland gave the devotional talk this week! It was so cool! He taught a lot of cool things about missionary work, but the thing that hit me the hardest was at the end. He talked about the importance of opening your mouth. The devil wants to destroy the righteous here on the earth, however he doesn't have the power to take our lives. Instead, satan does the next best thing, binds our tongues. There are many times in my life where I have wanted to say things, but have felt embarrassed or too shy to share them. Elder Holland made me understand that when that happens, that fear of opening your mouth comes directly from satan! Read the account of Joseph Smith's first vision. What happened right before he saw God and His Son? Satan bound his tongue. As a missionary, I know that I need to give everybody a chance to hear the gospel and can't allow Satan to bind my tongue.
 
Our sunday devotional was also really special. One thing that really hit me hard was that he said the we all have angels watching over us as we serve. I starting thinking about that and realized that that means that DAD is probably watching me. So that night I dedicated my personal study to reading about angels. I learned a lot that night. Afterwards I prayed and asked for answers to some of my questions and almost immediately after the coolest thing happened. I had a warmth come over me and I KNEW that he was there. All of a sudden the mission felt so much more important. Dad's a pretty popular guy, I wonder who else he dragged down to watch over me? haha just something cool to think about. 
 
I would like to give a shoutout to Mike and Charisse. I wore the boots the got me for the first time at the MTC yesterday to break them in and they are AMAZING. I don't even care how many people gave me weird looks as I stomped around in those massive things! It got me so pumped to be able to use them in the rainforest!
 
Lastly, I am so ready to get out of here. It's been quite the experience, however I NEED to leave! I feel like my spanish is coming along quite well, and now the best way I can improve is to be immersed. I am so ready to be confused in Costa Rica. I want to struggle! I feel too comfortable here now. I know it definitely will not be this easy out in the field and I'm scared that I'm getting too used to it here. Oh well, less than two more weeks!
I wish I had more pictures this week... Its hard to get cool new pictures when you're stuck in the same two buildings for over a month.

Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment